Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Carpe Diem





Wow. It is October 1st. This week marks the start of the 6th week of classes (or work, if you’re like me and on co-op), which translates to 1/3 of the semester being over. To be honest, I never thought semesters would fly by so fast. But as I was thinking about that today as I switched my calendar, I realized that that’s pretty much how life works. I know people say it all the time; about high school, about college, about having kids, about your job. And while I hear them say it, I don’t think I ever fully listen. It seems like good advice: make the most of your time, because before you know it it’s gone, and yet it’s so much harder to practice than to simply say it.

I like to think I’m good at prioritizing things in my life, but I’m really not that great at it. I generally put school first, and if it’s not school it’s my extracurriculars. I tend to put the people aside, even though I really care about my family and friends. I value my relationships with them, but when it comes down to it I’m always making excuses about putting other things first. For example, I’ll tell myself, “Well, your exam is in two days, and you can never retake that, so studying is more important. You can call your friend later.” But the problem is, something else always comes up later, and I continuously put it off and then it just never happens. It’s something I’ve been wanting to get better about, but haven’t really gotten around to (see the trend?). Lately, though, I’ve tried to be better and make time for what’s really important. And especially today, as I thought about how fast the last five weeks have gone, it really hit me. Life really does fly by, and I need to start making more time for the things that are truly important.

Carpe diem. I know it’s cliché, but we really do need to seize the day. Life is so precious, and in an instant everything can change. I don’t want to have any regrets, or miss any chances. I don’t want to be left saying “if only” or “what if.” So, I challenge you, as I challenge myself, to, every morning, think about how you will seize the day. Take a step back, and smile, because in the grand scheme everything is going to work out. Life is good, God is watching over you, and you are loved. So tell the people close to you that you appreciate them; I promise it’ll make their day. Pause for a few seconds to watch the sunset, and see the beauty in nature. Listen to your favorite song, and take some time for yourself to chillax. Reflect on the past few weeks or even months, and see how you’ve grown and what you’d like to improve on. Dream big, and believe in yourself. Remember that God has a purpose for you, and everything will happen exactly as it’s meant to.

God bless,
Kathe

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this challenge. I often forget to take time for the people in my life and I sure could use the daily reminder.

    ReplyDelete