Saturday, October 27, 2012

Is Your Cup Half Full?

Being an engineer, I like to tell a joke. Some people see the glass as half empty, some see it half full, and an engineer knows it's twice as large as it needs to be. Not my best, but it still makes me chuckle.

Recently, a friend of mine introduced me to a quote by St. Augustine that was somewhat, if indirectly, related. Of course, I don't remember how it went exactly. However, it had to do with fulfillment in heaven. He describes the fulfillment we will all find in heaven as having a cup that is overflowing. But, not everyone has the same size cup. We all are completely satisfied, but not with the same amount of satisfaction.

Mind blown.

Augustine goes on to discuss the importance of prayer. Prayer, he says, is the way we can increase the size of our cup. We seek, through our conversations with God, His grace and an increase in our capability to accept what He has planned for us. I never in my life considered prayer as a way to increase my ability to accept God's gifts. Prayer is so powerful that it can determine just how eternally happy you are. All the more reason to be taking advantage of our time here.

Til next time,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment