Thursday, October 18, 2012

Reliable Source of Relaxation

This week has and continues to be a very busy week for me.  It is during weeks like this when I try to find every way to gain a few extra minutes to get some work done.  The thought of maybe cutting back on my time in prayer or time spent on writing this blog also runs through my head during times like these.  I have done this before, cutting back on prayer time, and to say the least, it was not worth it.  It sounds like a good idea in theory, but when it comes to execution the theory falls short.  It seems that when I cut back on my prayer time and other times spent with God, my stress level begins to rise, even though I have more time to do homework.  It is funny how just a few minutes in prayer can relax you and relieve some stress.  When I seem to be very stressed out, I say a quick prayer multiple times throughout the day, and just those little prayers relieve a lot of pressure.  In today’s reading, there is a line that says, “The Lord stood by me and gave me strength.”  Little verses like this one provide me with the feeling that everything will work out, because God is on my side and He will see that I am ok. 

My favorite verse to read when times are tough is Philippians 4:4-9.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice!  Your kindness should be known to all.  The Lord is near.  Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.  Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me.  Then the God of peace will be with you.

-Brent

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I also love that passage from Philippians. It's hard to have no anxiety at all -- really hard! However, I feel somehow reassured when I read this. We are in God's tender providence, so what could we be worried about?

    ReplyDelete