Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Carefree Children

In today's Gospel reading Jesus says, "Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven."  I really love this idea and I always find it such a great reminder.  Kids have such a great trust in the world and in the goodness of people.  They have yet to experience pain or disappointment.  They have yet to worry about life's troubles or spend time making a tough decision.  They simply trust.  They simply believe.  They simply smile when they are happy, and cry when they are sad.  They don't know how to pretend to be something they are not.  They don't judge other people.  They don't look down upon other people.  They don't deem themselves better than others.  They simply want to play and have fun and smile.  They are carefree and their love reflects that.

Obviously, kids have it easier.  They don't have the life that we have, the challenges that we face.  But that's just it.  We can give our problems to God.  He can help us face them.  Our problems become small with our powerful God.  I always love the saying, "Don't tell God how big your problems are, tell your problems how big your God is."

The point is, we can still have a childlike faith.  When I hear this gospel, I always stop and check myself.  Am I loving and trusting freely?  Do I live my life carefree like a child or do I let my problems overwhelm me?  Am I being judgmental or comparing myself to others?  Or am I simply smiling and laughing knowing that I have a God that loves me more than I could ever know?

Why focus on our problems?  We have God.  We have His help and His love and all the beautiful gifts He has given us.  Like children, let's not worry.  Instead, let's change our outlook and focus on the love that surrounds us and how powerful that is!

Until next time,
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment