Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Just Let It Go



“Have you ever put your heart out there, and just let it go?” That was the tag line on a commercial I just saw. Normally I don’t really tune in to commercials, but this one caught my attention. The bluntness of the question reached out to me. It made me think of the times I have “put my heart out there.” The first instance that came to mind was how I’ve given my heart to the organization that I talked about a few posts ago. And my thoughts flew to the hurt I’ve felt, the backstabbing that people have done to me, the betrayal and brokenness I’ve felt. If I hadn’t put my heart out there for them, none of that would have happened. I wouldn’t be trying to get over the anger and bitterness I feel. I wouldn’t be left trying to pick up the scattered pieces, and trying to learn how to trust people again.

But that’s not me. I don’t just do things half-heartedly. If I’m going to be committed to something and give it my time, I believe in giving 110% effort and doing the best I can. That doesn’t exactly work too well if I don’t put my whole heart into whatever organization or cause I’m trying to be involved in.

So that leads me to the current dilemma: give my whole heart again because that’s who I am and risk another heart break, or give a half-hearted effort to everything and not worry about possible painful consequences.

Then I heard that quote, and the last line made me think about it slightly differently. Give your whole heart, and just let it go. Life isn’t easy. I get that. It’s also, to my dismay, not fair. But that doesn’t mean I should give up and let it get me down. I will get hurt along the way, and I could let that get to me. I could stop trying, and hole myself up behind a wall I let no one break down. While that’s what I feel like doing right now, I know it’s not the right choice. Yes, I may get hurt, but if I build up a wall, I will also be keeping all the good out. That line is telling me to let what happens happen. There will be times that it doesn’t work out, but if I get pushed down and hurt, I need to just brush myself off, stand up, and shake it off. I can’t dwell on those times. There will also be times that it pays off, where my hard work is noticed and great things happen. Whatever happens, though, I can’t let myself get too wrapped up in it (either the good or the bad). I just need to be me, and everything will work out as it’s supposed to.

I hope anyone being held back by a grudge or negative feelings or pain can start to let that go. I have realized that while things may not always work out in your favor, God has a plan and He is seeing you through the hard times. Cherish the good, and, as I’m learning, don’t dwell on the bad. Why waste your time, anyway? God will make it all work out. As I’m beginning to chip away at the negative feelings holding me back, I’ll be praying for everyone else who needs some peace and the reminder to just put your heart out there, and let it go.

God bless,
Kathe

1 comment: