Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Patience



This week, I am again reflecting on one of Henri Nouwen’s quotes because 1) they are really thought-provoking, and 2) I want all of you to come on retreat! In case you still haven’t heard anything about it yet: there is a Metanoia retreat for students happening this weekend and it’s going to be awesome so you should all sign up! Seriously, though, Henri Nouwen has some great quotes. They really get you thinking, and I recommend everyone take some time just browsing through his wisdom.

The quote I chose for this week is: “A waiting person is a patient person. The word patience means the willingness to stay where we are and live the situation out to the full in the belief that something hidden there will manifest itself to us.”

I am not a very patient person. I don’t like being late, I like getting things done in advance, and when these things don’t happen, I get stressed out. In the bigger picture, trying to figure out what I’m doing with my life is an even bigger mystery that I want figured out now. I get anxious thinking about if I’m making the right decisions, where I’m supposed to be headed, what my future should look like, and I often times find myself telling God, “Please, just let me know now what I’m supposed to be doing.” I think a lot of college students feel this way. We’re sent off to college after years of being told what to do in school, and at the young age of 18, are supposed to decide our career path and get started. The decisions we make can affect the rest of our lives, and for me at least that’s a pretty heavy weight on my shoulders. This quote, though, is reminding me to be patient. I’m always telling myself to let go of my worries and just let God take control, but that’s a lot easier said than done and I always find myself stressing anyways. Henri Nouwen is saying that we can’t just sit there, stressing about our lives. We need to trust God completely and let Him take control. And in the meantime, while waiting for His plan for us to unfold, we shouldn’t just be in limbo. Patience goes beyond waiting; we have to be open to God in our lives, and look for His signs and direction. We need to make the most of every situation, and be optimistic about everything.  He can speak to us in many ways, and it’s important that we open our hearts and minds. If we go out being the best child of God we can be, one day He will reveal something to us that makes everything click. Maybe we’ll see that the life we’ve been living is the path we were meant to take, or maybe He will nudge us in a certain direction. Whatever happens, in the meantime we need to live our life for Christ and trust God, and everything will work out. Have patience! 

God bless, 
Kathe 

P.S.-I again stole Mel's spot, so read below for her post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment