Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thank You Veterans



Back in September, as Luke and Katie talked about earlier, the UC band traveled to Washington, D.C. for the football game. On Friday, after a long bus ride, we arrived at the hotel around 7:30 and had the night free to do whatever we pleased. We were staying about 30 minutes outside of downtown, and most people decided to walk to a nearby restaurant or stay at the hotel. A couple people, though, were planning on taking the metro downtown to eat and explore. Normally, I would choose the safe option and stay around the hotel, but I really wanted to see the city. I’ve been to D.C. probably 3 or 4 times before, but I can’t get enough of it. I love the quiet patriotism and honor present at the memorials, the wide diversity of people and places in the city, and the government buildings and museums saturated with history and remembrance of our nation’s past. That place is so full of honor, patriotism, and hope for our country, and it leaves me in awe every time I visit. With that in mind, I decided to travel downtown with some of my friends. As soon as we arrived downtown, we ate some delicious crepes from a street vendor and embarked on our quest to find the monuments and memorials.

While we were able to see the Capitol Building, the Washington monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the World War II Memorial, and the White House, I think the World War II Memorial touched me the most. Every time I visit it, I am left speechless. Seeing how our great country was able to come together, men and women, to fight for our country and defend our freedom always amazes me, and that memorial displays that so clearly to me. The courage of the soldiers, the sacrifices everyone made, and the evident patriotism and selflessness so strongly radiate from every part of that memorial. As I was walking around, I felt immensely thankful to be living in America.  Just before the trip, I learned about the current struggles in Burma, where the government cruelly oppresses their citizens. Villages are set on fire for no reason, women and children are raped and killed by the soldiers that are supposed to protect them, and so many are starving, sick, and dying. We are extremely blessed to be living in a nation where every person has rights, and the government is for the people, by the people. I thank God for the soldiers who serve our country, past and present, and pray for their safety and well-being. Sunday was Veteran’s Day, and I’d like to ask that everyone say a special prayer today for all those men and women who have served or are serving our country. 

“Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices.” –President Harry S. Truman, World War II Memorial

God bless,
Kathe

No comments:

Post a Comment