Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Prayer Slacker

I'll admit it, I've been slacking on prayer.  Do you ever go through those slumps?  I think I'm in the middle of one.  Where prayer is just something quick you do in the morning or on your way to school.  But time is never dedicated to really praying and spending time with God.  And when I do make time to go to the chappel, I always seem to rush in and rush out.  I do, however, feel most connected to God in the chappel because it's quiet and intimate and rid of distractions.  It's just me and God.

But lately, when I stop in the chappel before going home for the day, I have been going in with the wrong attitude: "If I stop and spend some time in the chappel, I will feel better about myself because I will have gotten in my prayer for the day."  Ten minutes in the chappel means I didn't ignore God which means I don't have to feel guilty that day.  But really, this attitude has made everything worse.  Because I am "working God into my schedule."  Prayer has become something I check off my to-do list.  Did I pray today? Yes. Check.  It has become something that I feel like I have to do while in the past, it was something I loved to do.

I'm not sure how to get back to a better prayer life.  But it's comforting to know that God will always meet me where I'm at.  He already knows how I'm feeling about my prayer life, so I might as well be honest with him.  If I just ask God to meet me where I'm at and admit my shortcomings and faulty attitude, then I can take his hand and his help to get me back to where I want to be.  And the beautiful thing?  Even after all this, God's love for me has never lessened.

Until next time,
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment