Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Lord, I am not worthy..."

When I really started to listen to the words spoken at mass and really understand what those words meant, the mass took on a whole new meaning for me.  One of the most powerful parts of the mass is when I say, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you.  But only say the word and my soul shall be healed."

Uhm hello, how crazy is that!  Here I am in my little pew, meshing in with the rest of the congregation and then there I go addressing God personally.  Because the truth is, I am so so not worthy to receive the body of Christ.  I honestly and truly mean it when I say, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you."  I look back on my week and am overcome with my faults and failings.  I am not proud of everything I have done, even just that week!  There were times where I sinned against myself, my neighbor, and God.  There were so many times where I failed to put Christ and my relationship with him first.

And now I am being presented the body of Christ?  I do all of these things and then I am supposed to receive the most wonderful gift of all time?  But God, I am SO NOT worthy! And I admit that right then and there to God personally.  But the next part is the definition of grace: "But only say the word and my soul shall be healed."  My soul is healed by a word.  I am forgiven because God said so.  And that is overwhelming and wonderful.

What parts of the mass mean the most to you and why?

Until next time,
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment